In Ottawa and all across Canada, people are looking for the best, energy-efficient, and eco-friendly ways to heat their homes at the most affordable prices.
The average household in North America spends a lot on heating alone, almost $1,200 annually. Here in Ottawa, thanks to our notoriously long, cold, harsh winters, our heating costs can be even more than that.
Fortunately, forced-air heating may just be the right solution. Here is how to know if forced-air heating is the best choice for your home.
What Is Forced-Air Heating?
Forced-air heating is the most common type of heating system in Ottawa and surrounding areas, particularly in newer homes.
Forced air heating can be either from a gas furnace or from an electric furnace.
The concept of forced-air heating refers to how a heating or cooling system captures and distributes the circulating air throughout a building, object, structure or home.
The air is pushed (forced) through the system’s vents and ducts that are interconnected to the furnace or heat source.
A forced-air heating system is different from central air conditioning systems, although they use the same vents and ducts through the home or building. The air circulates in a closed-loop, pushing or pulling heat from your home according to the mode you’re using at the moment, whether it’s air conditioning or heating.
Upsides & Downsides of Forced Air Heating
Forced air heating is a great way to distribute the heat throughout your home evenly.
However, just like everything else, it has its upsides and downsides. Let’s take a closer look at some of the pros and cons of forced air heating.
Pros of Forced Air Heating:
- Since forced-air heating uses natural gas, it’s extremely energy efficient; aside from being affordable, it’s also eco-friendly
- Thanks to the latest technology, forced-air heating provides an excellent level of heating efficiency during cold months
- Forced-air heating systems are extremely quick and effective, suitable for a wide range of homeowners
- These systems take a lot less time to heat your home effectively
- Forced-air heating is easy to install and maintain and is more affordable than radiant heaters and other similar systems
- In terms of reliability, forced-air heating is more reliable than heat pumps and electric heating systems
- Additionally, they come with very durable ducts and parts, ensuring the long lifespan of your system
Cons of Forced Air Heating:
- Forced air heating systems may push mould, contaminants or dust particles into the air – that’s why it is important to monitor and stay on top of indoor air quality
- Even cutting-edge forced-air heating systems tend to be quite noisy
- Due to central temperature control, the heat may not be evenly distributed across the home
- Ductwork can start leaking air
As you can see, there are many benefits to forced air heating systems. While it’s not for every home, we’ve found great success installing and maintaining forced air (gas or electric) heating systems in Ottawa and surrounding communities.
When Should You Install Forced Air Heating?
If you have vents and ductwork already installed in your home, a forced-air system could well be the right choice for you, as you can simply connect your existing air conditioning to your new forced-air heating system from the furnace.
When is the best time to install a new, forced-air heating system?
The most suitable moment to install a new forced-air heating system if your current heating system produces high energy bills or you know your current heating system needs replacement would be in the late summer or early fall, before the heating season starts.
If you find yourself in the winter and/or in more immediate need of a heating solution, don’t worry, we can help.
Let Advanced HVAC Help You Choose Your Ottawa Home Heating Solution
Looking to hire Ottawa’s home heating experts to take care of your forced-air heating needs? Advanced HVAC has your home heating needs covered!
Contact us today to hire the most affordable and reliable Ottawa HVAC services for repair and installation.